Applying for an F-1 Visa in a Third Country

Updated on February 23rd, 2023

Most of our international Aspire: Five-Week students apply for their F-1 student visa in their home country, as this is where they can display strongest ties; however, some apply in another country (this is called applying as a 'third country national'). It is generally possible to apply as a third country national, although embassies and consulates may have additional requirements for such applicants. If you decide to apply for your F-1 student visa as a third country national, our recommendation is to contact the US embassy or consulate where you hope to apply and confirm that they accept applications from third country nationals and determine whether there are any additional requirements.

Another point to consider when evaluating whether to apply for a visa as a third country national is that it can be more difficult to prove ties to your home country. This is because the consular officer may not be sufficiently familiar with your home country to make a determination about whether you are likely to return to your home country after your program is complete. As a result, it is particularly important for you to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the consular officer that you have sufficient funding to complete the program and intend to return to your home country, as well as a plausible reason for applying as a third country national.